Fire Chief Jerry Forte stood behind a counter stocked with bowls of flour, melted butter and brown sugar.
“This is Jerry Forte from the Palm Coast Fire Department. If you tune in thinking you’re going to get a healthy holiday treat that’s good for you, you’ve clicked on the wrong channel,” he said. he declared with a smile.
Within 8 minutes and 30 seconds of the city video, Forte showed viewers how to make coffee cake or crumb cake. “It’s a really simple recipe, works great for Thanksgiving, works great for Christmas, or if you just want something for the weekend,” he said.
The video was the fire chief’s way of highlighting cooking safety ahead of the holiday season.
While baking the cake, he jotted down a series of kitchen safety tips:
- Keep children and pets away from the kitchen while cooking
- Keep work areas clean while cooking and maintain enough space to move around the kitchen
- Keep flammable objects away from hot surfaces
- Wear protective gear to avoid burns when handling hot objects
- Set a timer while cooking to avoid distractions
- Make sure appliances are hot and off when you’re done
- Have a fire extinguisher (type 2A or 10 B:C) available for emergencies.
Kitchen fires are common during the holiday season. The city is offering free home safety inspections for residents (sign up for one to https://palmcoast.force.com/forms/s/home-safety-inspections).