A digital kitchen scale is an essential tool for anyone who likes to cook or bake. They provide precision to make your recipes more reliable and easier to cook. If you are in the market for one, these are the qualities that you should be looking for.
In this video from America’s Test Kitchen YouTube Channel, Chef Lisa McManus reviews the best kitchen scales (you can find a full list here). Based on their results, a good digital kitchen scale should be:
- Precise: If this is not correct, it is unnecessary. Fortunately, every scale they have tested with laboratory calibrated weights has performed well.
- Easy to use: You should be able to quickly switch from grams to ounces, and the controls should be intuitive and easy to access.
- Legible: The digital display should be large, use large numbers, have crisp color contrast, and have a backlight option. In addition, a large bowl should not completely obscure the screen.
- Sustainable: You should be able to drop your scale on the counter without getting damaged.
- Easy to clean: The scale should have a removable platform for easy cleaning, and the scale should not have nooks and crannies that easily trap food and water residue.
So what was their first choice? They went with the OXO Good Grips stainless steel food scale with sliding screen which costs $ 50, followed by Ozeri Pronto Multifunction Digital Kitchen and Food Scale as a best buy option for around $ 12.